2.12.2011

Interview: Mesut Özil

Mesut Ozil has done nothing short of dazzle Madridistas since joining the club over the summer. The German international has kept his eyes on the prize all season and wants nothing to come between him and success at Real Madrid. In order for that to happen, he takes each match as it comes, the next being against Espanyol on Sunday.

Özil playing for Real Madrid
Mesut Özil

Real Madrid face Espanyol this weekend in Barcelona. What do you expect from the game?
It's definitely going to be very difficult. Every team that plays Real Madrid tries their very hardest to beat us. They put in an extra effort but we need to just stick to our game and try to score goals. I'm certain that if we do that we can win the game.

Espanyol are difficult to play at their home ground.They're sitting sixth in the table and obviously not having problems scoring goals. How are you going to approach the game?
Our main goal is to pick up three points despite the fact that they're a tough side. We have plenty of great players in the squad so if we stick to what we know best then we can win the game.

Cristiano Ronaldo is top scorer and you appear to have a great relationship with him on and off the pitch. Can you explain that understanding that you have? Is it instinct?
It's very clear to everybody that we have a great relationship. He has been very good to me and has helped me a lot since I arrived in Madrid - he's a fantastic person! Cristiano Ronaldo is a very important member of the team, he has scored plenty of goals and puts all his energy into the team winning games. I'm absolutely delighted that I play alongside him.

You and Sami Khedira also have a great friendship. You're obviously both German. Has he helped you settle in quicker in Madrid?
It definitely made the transition a lot easier because he was already here when I arrived in Madrid. We already knew each other from our time on the Germany national team and he's been a great support. We spend a lot of time together and I feel very lucky to have him here.

You've made 12 assists and scored nine goals this season. You appear to enjoy being an assists man. Is that something you agree with?
I would say I really enjoy scoring goals and also making assists. They're both equally satisfying for me and I'm always over the moon when I can help a teammate find the back of the net.

We saw you kiss the club crest several weeks ago. What does Real Madrid mean for you? That was a very important moment for Madridistas.
I play for Real Madrid and I feel very connected to this club. I am a part of this team and I wanted to express my happiness at being here. I didn't plan it, it just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...