5.21.2012

Raphael Varane: "I need more time to assert myself"

Raphael Varane reviewed his first year at Real Madrid in an interview with French television TF1. The young central defender knows he took a risky decision signing for the white team last summer. The player, 19 years old, said: "To sign and go to Real Madrid looked like it could be a suicide mission, but I knew where and for what I signed. I never doubted."

Rapheal Varane in the Bernabeu trophy room
Raphael Varane

The French defender, who also was an interesting player for PSG and Manchester United, revealed that the presence of Jose Mourinho on the white bench was one of the keys by which he decided to sign for Real Madrid: "What made ​​the difference was that there was an expressed desire of the Portuguese coach to work with me. This and the guarantee of progress in my training in such an important club were essential in my decision" he said.

For the French player, one of the most important people in his move to Madrid was Zinedine Zidane: "The first person of Real Madrid who contacted me was Zizou. At that moment I was more concerned about the entrance exams to college. But it was a great moment " he said.

About the nickname the Spanish media gave him earlier this season, Mr. Clean, he says it is OK: "I make few mistakes in the field, so I like that nickname". Varane has played 15 games this season for the club Iin the Spanish League, Cup and Champions League. He has committed 14 fouls, less than one per game and has not seen any yellow card. In the nine games played in the league, the white 19 has only added eight faults. While in the four games he has played in the Champions League and two in the Cup, has only made ​​two and four fouls in each competition respectively.

Raphael Varane, who was summoned by the French Under-21 team to play against Latvia and Kazakhstan ahead of qualifying for the European Championship next year, is one of the players who will play for France in the future. Therefore he does not feel disappointed not to be in the list of France to the Eurocup 2012: "It is not a disappointment to me. The national team is a goal I have in the long term, not short. Now I am focused on helping the Under-21 team for next year's European Championship. I need more time to assert myself, first in Real Madrid and then with France", he said.

Varane has closed a successful first year at Real Madrid. He has already adapted to Spanish football, to Real Madrid and to the city. He even got a driver's license, so he no longer needs a mentor or family members, who visit him often, to go to the training at Valdebebas Sport City.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...